Meerkat On the LookOUT

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Being a lab assistant...
Yesterday was my first time attending lab session from 9am till 5pm. It was such a tiring day. But, it was not that bad as compared to the days of doing wireless measurement studies when i was back in Cyberjaya.
1.5 years back when i was working as researcher, we (Alvin, Dr Sim and i) worked on wireless measurement studies. Given the short period of time to finish the studies, we were really stressed out. Alvin was the champion of the studies and he faced more stress than me. Looking back, we have learned a lot and we gained so much of experience. We reached the lab by 6am and we got all the outdoor access points, tripods, car batteries (i still can remember how heavy is that) and etc into our cars by 6.30am. We worked all day long to finish our measurement and went home around 11pm. i had to stay in the car under the afternoon hot sun and carried out the experiment. When i wanted a toilet break, i had to call some colleagues to come over to my car and took over my experiements. For lunch break, we didn't have the time to have proper lunch. I still remember how thoughtful was Dr Sim when he packed fish and vegetables for me because i was then just recovered from shingles and i had to be very careful with my diet. Thank god we had a very diligent UM trainee who was really keen in learning and working with us. We'd really appreciate his effort and his willingness to work overtime and helped us through our measurements. At the end of 2 month measurement studies on the roadside, We (Alvin, Dr Sim & I) were very tanned and it tooks us months to recover. After all, it was a good experience.
Today, my life is totally different. i'm supposed to study and also to work as a lab assistant for no more than 6 hours per week. Thursday was my first time being a lab assistant. i would say that it was such a good experience. Even though i do not plan to become a lecturer/teacher, i'm given an opportunity to learn how to do teaching as part of my studies. I may not see what God wants me to do, but i'm given a chance to do a bit of teaching. i spent at least 5 hours before lab session on Thursday to work on the lab sheets by myself, to learn a new software that i always wanted to learn. When i was using the software, i need to stretch extra miles in learning the software and pick up more skills so that i'll be able to help the students. i got myself familiarised with the software and understand the entire lab sheets. Due to the fact that it was my first time teaching students and these are 2nd year engineering, i was a bit anxious the night before that. i prayed and prayed asking God to help me so that i would be able to help the students.
On Thursday, the first batch of the students came in around 9am and some good ones had started the work the day before the lab. They managed to finish it within 1.5 hours. i also came to know these 2nd year students, i used to see them at the corridoor waiting for lectures and never came to know them. Unfortunately, the students couldn't finish the lab session and they dragged till 1.10pm even though they were supposed to finish it by 12noon. Then the 2nd batch students came in before 2pm. Apparently, there were more international students in 2nd batch. During the lab session, i had to be very careful with what i teach them, make sure i give them the right facts and also neccessary guidance to help them, but not to tell them the answers. Apart from that, i need to mark their answers. The most crucial part is making sure they are satisfied with the marks that i give them.
Guess what i have to say everytime to the students? i have to say it with extra polite and careful ----> 'Are you happy with the marks? i have to say that i can't give you full marks because we want a bit more than what you've written here. we would expect you to mention...'
At the end of the day, i found myself so tired and i couldn't wait to pack my stuff to go home and cook dinner. i think it was a good experience on thursday to be a lab assistant and i fulfilled the quota of my weekly teaching. Phew...Come to think it, teaching is not that bad after all. But, i prefer to keep myself in the room to do research and dwell into the problem that i want to solve. I don't want students to knock the door and disturb me. I think i'm a bit selfish here, i need to learn to share my knowledge by doing some teaching, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home