Meerkat On the LookOUT

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Work issues

At work, how do you say a 'No' to your boss?
sometimes it's really tough to say 'No' because there are more advantages to say a 'Yes!'. If we say 'Yes' to our bosses, you'll get the favour of your boss. However, sometimes we have to learn to say 'No' because your boss asks you to do something that shouldn't fall on your plate. We have to stand up and say 'I'm afraid i can't do much this time, because xxx...' Hopefully the justication is good and logical and the most important thing is he/she agrees with you at the end.

In one occasion, one of my colleagues told the other colleague 'I heard from xxx that this person very reluctant to help when ask him/her to do, based on someone's experience'. When i heard that, i told myself this person is playing with fire, how can you code somebody's experience and ruining another person's image? This is not wise. Then another colleague who knows the person well saying 'oh no...he/she is a nice person'. I just kept quiet only. Then, this colleague of mine continued somemore. At last, i decided to say something to put a stop to it. i said 'Please do not put your standard on others. Things that you can do does not mean others willing to do'. Another advise i keep on reminding myself is 'Do not put hope in men, put hope in God'.
At work, i believe there are many approaches one can take if you want someone to share your work load. When you ask somebody for help, pls be sincere and also make sure that person is capable of doing the job. And, pls pls no 'Tai chi'. If things work out well, everything is well. If things do not work out well, do not blame the person because he/she must remember it was initally your job, you still need to take care of the project.


Personally, i worked in British company and i found that everyone is very professional. They are really good in what they do because they are given sufficient time to learn and less competition. They are also very comfortable with what they are asked to do. I remember a good ex-colleague of mine in UK gave me numerous opportunities for me to pick up new things and he taught me good lessons in research. I'm very thankful to him until today. He shared his experience and knowledge with me. i'd really love the way he taught me. Now, i'm working in American company. Everyone is trying to be an outstanding employee, doing more work and i remember someone told me 'i submit my work on time, and i do this and that, i shall ask for promotion after one year'. In fact, i checked the HR chart, the HR department expects everyone to get promoted every two years. Then i started to ask myself 'Why am i not thinking about promotion at all? I do my work and submit on time and sometimes earlier? How come the thought of fighting for promotion never came across my mind? Am i too comfortable now?'

When i was in UK, life was all about work and that is not what i want. Since i came back, i try to balance up my life, now i have work, friends, family, church, games, etc. Thank god that I'm back. Work is work, after office hour is my personal time.

Good news!!! Kapitan Yap is back from Cambodia. The house was so quiet for the past one week, because Kapitan Yap was away and no body played guitar. Thank god that he's back home safely and after looking thru the photos last night, it was a good trip. On the other hand, I'm looking forward to go back to Penang for the long weekend...Mama, i'm coming home!!!

2 Comments:

  • helloooo bebeh!! on job promotion -- i think it is more on personal job goals and expectations. it varies... i guess.. so shopping this wiken kan? tengku mahkota yap joining or not? where shall we eat eh? can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

    By Blogger cpj, At Thu Aug 23, 04:40:00 PM 2007  

  • hmmm...so sorry that i'm gonna disappoint u two..can't make it :(

    By Blogger InfanT, At Fri Aug 24, 08:11:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home