Meerkat On the LookOUT

Friday, September 28, 2007

Communication

The meaning of Communication according to Wikipedia:-

Communication is a process that allows organisms to exchange information by several methods. Communication requires that all parties understand a common language that is exchanged. There are auditory means, such as speaking or singing, and nonverbal, physical means, such as body language, sign language, paralanguage, touch, eye contact, or the use of writing.

When i was a lil girl, I didn't like to talk. I liked to keep quiet and only be 'manja' with my mom and also my Yee-Ma. My dad's friend who works in clinic, Uncle Kok Cheng, used to say 'Fern, is there any gold in your mouth.? Call me uncle, your gold will not drop'.
As I grow up, i started to be more 'talkative' in a sense and communicate with others. I was once did blood test for Giotre because the doctor suspected a slight swollen neck and my voice was slightly different. Mrs Ko got so worried and scared. She sat down with me one fine evening and started to ask me to share my thoughts with her, communicate with her. She said 'Fern, you have to share with me what you're thinking. Do not put too much stress on yourself. We're not expecting you to score A all the time. Just do your best.' Thank god after a week, my mom called the clinic and the test was negative. Since then, i also noticed that whenever i have stress especially people are trying to bully me and taking advantage of me, my voice changes. My mother is the best person to judge whether there is a change of my voice as the sign of stress. I listened to my mom's advice and i started to share more with her.



As i entered another stage of my life (started a relationship with Tengku Mahkota), my mom's advice came again. The same piece of advice 'COMMUNICATION'. According to her, communication drives the relationship. If there's a lack of communication, understandings will happen because both parties will be guessing each other's expectations and hopes. To avoid these unneccessaries, communication is the key to address the problem. Communicate does not mean she talks, he must talk as well. So far, communication has been very helpful.


We need to communication, when is the right time to communicate? Do i have to wait? Or i should just speak my mind?

Personally, i'm a very direct person. I do not like to beat around the bush. I might be too direct at times. But sometimes, i'm too shy to speak. Hence, i just keep quiet. I've learned through my experience that as long as i speak out, i'll gain something, it's really 'RUGI' to keep quiet. My dad used to scold me 'Why is it so hard to open your mouth and ask?' There is one chinese saying says that if we ask a pro, it's like reducing the time we need to spend to read 10 over years of books. I think this is really true.

Everytime when i do my quiet time, i always remind myself 'be still, listen to Him what He wants to say'. But, i always fall asleep. My pastor emphasises on communicating with God, which mean two-way traffic, we talk and we allow God to talk to us as well.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home