Meerkat On the LookOUT

Thursday, January 15, 2009

B for ?

During our normal conversation especially over the phone, sometimes we may not hear properly. So, the common practice is using the name of country such as:-
A for Australia
B for Belgium
C for Canada
D for Denmark

However, for lil children, the names of country will not be helpful. The most appropriate is 
A for Apple 
B for Boy
so on...

As part and puzzle of my job, i do technical discussions with researchers over the world thru conference call. Today, I attempted to call Serbia...before I called, I looked up to Wikipedia where does Serbia locate. Oh it's in Europe. But, this place is relatively further than England, where we can speak England. Hence the conversation goes:-

Me: Good morning, may I speak with Professor xxx?
Admin A: errrrrrrrr....
Me: Do you speak English?
Admin A: nonononoo

Admin A put down the phone and Admin B came

Admin B: Hello?
Fern: Good morning, may I speak with Professor xxx?
Admin B: Professor ?
Fern: yea, professor xxxx?
Admin B: Ah...
Fern: Can you share his extension number with me?
Admin B: the number is xxxxxx
Fern: Can I have his email address?
Admin B: er... the email address is his name ...then AT, sssss....
Fern: how many S are there?
Admin B : S...S...B...
Fern: ok. double sb
Admin B: B for BURGER
Fern: oh okok....ssb..next??

I reckon the admintrastor thought that i was calling from american and americans love burgers.

At the end of the day, I checked out the university webpage and traced domain for email. I reckon i've got the right email address because the email does not bounce back.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home