Meerkat On the LookOUT

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What's the best gift from my late papa?

I'm the kind of person like to reminiscing old days. My late papa has left me when I was doing my final year. Prior to his death, the last time i saw him and talked to him was 2 months before he left. Yes, i miss him dearly whenever lil things in my life relates to him. I remember I dreamt of him a number of times and I got up with a wet pillow. This happened again 2 weeks back, I dreamt of him again and i cried so badly calling 'papa....papa'. Of course, my bedmate got a shocked. He shared his loving arms with me and woke me up. He said 'Fern... Fern... It's just a dream. It's ok.' I can't remember the dream now but i remember sharing the dream with him immediately I got up.

Yes, i used to be papa's gal. My papa retired when  i was secondary two. Since then, he fetched me from school every day and he was my driver to send me to tuition center every afternoon. Most of my tuition time is around 4pm and i had to wake him up from his nap around 3.15pm. I felt pretty bad because I knew that he almost dozed off then. No matter what, he sent me to tuition center without complaints. I would say he's pretty punctual when it comes to fetching his daughter, other matters like wedding dinner and family dinner, he used to be late all the time. That's why he called me 'Boss' because he said he made sure he's punctual to pick me home. Also, I used to sit behind the passenger seat, because I just don't like to buckle up. He used to feed me with Conneto ice cream whenever I'm hungry before reaching home. In fact my late papa is a friendly person, some of my closed friends know my papa quite well because he used to give them a lift and drive us to places we want to visit sometimes. He also joked with them and teased them once a while.

back to the subject, I reckon the best gift he has given me...there are two. One is the education and the attitude. He believed the best gift to give to your next generation is education. To him, education opens the door for the children, to allow them to get their first job, entering the career world. That's the reason he never stopped me from further my studies or choosing the course for me to study. 'Don't have to get As, just pass will do'. That's his advice all the time. Indeed, that's one of the best gifts that he has given me. Another gift is his attitude. His friends in turtle island recognise me as 'Mr Ko's daughter'. Yup, I look like him, in terms of features. Mrs Ko used to comment that my finger nails and toe nails look exactly like him as well. But but but, i'm a woman. I was taught to spend wisely and have strong determination. Since my papa worked hard since he left school after primary school, he worked hard for the family. He went thru hardtimes to build the family business. He had strong determination when he worked. Yes, when I decide to work on something, i go all out for it. That's from his genes. 

I reckon my papa has made an impact in my life that I remember him and miss him from time to time. I'm very grateful to have such a father in my life. 

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home